The Russell Tidball Memorial Award was established to honour Russell's memory and help other individuals who share his love of hockey and education.
Russell was born in 1981, twin brother to Michael. Russell grew up with a love hockey, but due to a heart defect, he was unable to play until he was nine. He joined BLOMHA House League as a goaltender and loved every minute of it!
In 1994 Russell required more heart surgery and sustained brain damage that required months of rehabilitation. Throughout his rehab Russell remained positive and set his sights on two main goals; to attend high school and play hockey with his brother and friends.
Russell not only achieved his goals but distinguished himself in both. In high school Russell received the achievement award for highest marks in Grade 10 English; and in the 1995-96 hockey season he was thrilled and honoured to receive the Neale Pyefinch Award for the most improved player. Sadly, on December 29, 1997, Russell succumbed to a fatal heart attack.
You are invited to submit your application for the Russell Tidball $1000 scholarship for 2022!
Submissions are due July 29, 2022 | Successful candidates will be notified August 15, 2022
Eligibility for Candidacy
- Must have been registered with BLOMHA within the previous three (3) years and in good standing.
- Must be enrolled or in the process of enrolling in a post-secondary institution.
- Must not be receiving any other hockey scholarships.
- Must meet the admission standards of the post-secondary institution they are attending.
- Must have maintained clear academic status. Students on probation are not eligible for a scholarship.
- Awardees are only eligible to receive the scholarship once.